It’s that time of year when we’re all feeling very January, and thoughts turn to summer. So what better time to catch up on the latest food trend predictions for the year ahead? Maybe you’ve already cracked and given up on the resolutions, so it’s time to find out what we’re all going to be eating, drinking and buying over the next 12 months.
It’s perhaps no surprise that the political and environmental agenda are set to have a huge impact on the way we shop, and there are plenty of predictions linked to Brexit and taking into consideration the impact of our food waste.
So without further ado, the four mega trends, according to BidFood, for 2019 are:
- The Blue Planet effect – driven by David Attenborough calling for the world to cut back on the use of plastic to protect the ocean, plastic remains top of the agenda; and more conscious shoppers look to reduce waste at source. We’re also looking for meat alternatives and while Veganuary kickstarts the year, reports suggest that pegan diet (a combination of vegan and paleo) is set to become mainstream – with restaurants are upping the vegan offering with meatless ‘bleeding’ burgers, Just Egg Pizza and Vegan garlic bread.
- Comfort food – Brexit… whether you’re in or out, we’re keen to keep our friends close and share foodie experiences with classic, nostalgic dishes – and remember a time before the uncertainty.
- Get it on the Gram – we all love visual content, and goodness knows Instagram is the place to be if you’re seeking out dinner inspiration! 2019 is the year of bold colours, new flavours and food that makes you say mmmmm!
- Local food with provenance – locally sourced ingredients will be top of the shopping list, as consumers look for an alternative to imported goods. And as a nation we’re becoming far more interested in the provenance of our food and understanding the story behind the product. Expect to see a rise in artisan products with real people and real story to tell.
When it comes to the actual food we’re eating, things are about to get adventurous! If you’re looking to get ahead of the pack and mix it up, why not check out The Grocer’s top five food and drink trends for 2019; they’re sure to shake up your Instagram grid…
- The ‘supercharged’ bone broth: Fancy checking this one out? With ‘the potential to become “the new coffee”’ head to Whole Foods Market’s first bone both bar.
- Alternative grains: Freekeh, wheatberries and amaranth – a new take on fibre packed grains with Merchant Gourmet leading the charge!
- Unusual citrus fruits: finger limes (favoured by Nigella) and calamansi are gaining traction in the aisles. Calamansi, predominantly found in the Philippines has already been introduced to the Waitrose Cooks’ Ingredients range.
- West African cuisine: Afro-Caribbean cuisine, packed full of punchy flavours and meats like goat are set to enter the mainstream . Tangy chicken yassa and jollof rice have also been cited by Waitrose as products to watch for consumers looking for added spice.
- New botanicals: beauty industry favourites rosehip and pandan are also about to bring new tastes and ‘health connotations’ to food and drink!
So who’s up for a day packed with Freekeh porridge, bone broth, and a nod to a nostalgic dinner? One thing’s for sure 2019 looks set to be an interesting culinary one!
Our consumer lifestyle PR team specialise in connecting everyday brands with everyday people across four core sectors; Consumer Lifestyle PR, Food PR, Retail PR and Sport, Health & Wellbeing PR. More information on these areas of knowledge and the work we do with instagram influencers can be found at www.escapadepr.com/about-us.